I’ve been knitting a lot of hats lately. I recently realized that my cabled hat for those with big heads wasn’t organized properly on ravelry (and that the original in black doesn’t show the cable definition properly) so I cast on a new hat, in a smaller size, in Superfine Alpaca by Estelle. Because it’s a heavier yarn with more drape (and with alpaca content), it makes sense to knit the hat in a smaller size and expect it to still fit my head.
I’m knitting it with the magic loop method, and I have to say that although I prefer working with double pointed needles, the magic loop method makes more sense with hats. Not having to switch from one set of needles to another is awesome, and not having to worry about having both sets in the same size is great. Most of my needles are in Halifax now and I’d rather not invest in needles when I know that I have a big store a few hours away.
I’ve also been working on a hat for charity, using the generic Norwegian chart from HelloYarn as a base. faeriecrafty is a rock star, and transformed my .xlsx file into a .pdf for sharing. Here is the pitcher plant chart! Please respect HelloYarn’s copyright restrictions and don’t mass produce. I had major computer issues and couldn’t put the chart on her original sheet as requested on her downloadable free pattern; if I could have, I would have, and I’m really grateful for them putting out the pattern online.
I chose the pitcher plant as inspiration because they’re extraordinarily hardy plants. They’ve adapted to the incredibly nitrogenous soil of Newfoundland, and they’re absolutely beautiful. I hope they’ll be an inspiration to the survivor who eventually wear the hat.
Right now, I’m knitting a lining for the hat. It’s a hat headed toward someone undergoing chemotherapy, and I want it as soft as possible. I’ve never knit with silk before and I have to say that I don’t think I will be again in the future. The colour chart I made has long stretches of knitting with only one colour; usually, I accommodate long floats in stranded by twisting the yarns behind the work every five stitches or so. This silk shows the twists with glaringly obvious dimples showing from the right side of the fabric and it’s seriously stressing me out. It doesn’t look bad when the fabric is stretched out or worn, and I think a good blocking will help, but it definitely detracts from the joys of knitting. The Cascade Yarns Venezia Worsted is spun more tightly than the Lang Yarns MerinoSeta, so it isn’t buckling as badly, which, incidentally, is why I’m knitting the lining in the MerinoSeta. I think the looser spin will result in a softer lining. I’m going to try crotcheting this shell brimmed cloche in the Venezia Worsted next for the same charity; I think the process will be more relaxing than this hat.
I’ve been sporting a simple double crocheted cap lately. It’s 100% handspun wool (if you want to read about how I got said handspun, go here) and very cozy, although I’m excited to be able to wear a knit hat soon. I’ve been able to keep up with the increasingly cold weather knit-wise, and I’m really proud of how I’ve maintained my body temperature. Down to hypothermia!
And, just for silliness, a strawberry hat.
And Patrick Purrswayze. Mrow!